Sunday, March 22, 2009

Garth had his second treatment

Garth had his second treatment on Wed.  Only took about 3 hrs this time.  For what ever reason when they put his IV line in it bleed all over.  That really helped me to feel great.  I do so well when I see blood.   PLT  86,  WBC  27.5,  RBC  3.92.  They like your PLT count to be above 100 to do a treatment but because Garth's counts have been in the 50's & 60's they felt we were still OK.  68 was actually one of his higher "normal" readings in the last 5 years.  His treatment name is "CVP".  C = Cytoxan  V = Vincristine   P = Prednisone  100mg for 5 days.  The prednisone are horrible tasting and make everything you eat horrible.  They also make it so he doesn't sleep well, so he is usually up around 2 - 3 in the morning.  He got creative and we went and got some empty gel capsules and he put his pills in the capsules.  He didn't get the nasty taste in his mouth but within a short time he could taste that nasty taste.  It gets a little better a few days after he takes his last pills.   He has felt a little uhh, but not really bad.  Once he gets out in the fresh air and working, I think he is too busy to realize he doesn't feel that great.
 
His Nadir apt is on the 25th and then if numbers are good next treatment is April 2.
 
So far he still has his hair, I can't decide if it has thinned some or not, but really no real signs that it is coming out.  Maybe that is a small tender mercy, there is something about those shinny bald heads that scream chemo when you see them.  
 
We get to finish 2 science fair projects this weekend and a pyramid book report.  I woke up not feeling real hot during the night friday night.  I told Garth since he really isn't having very many symptoms, I thought I would have a few for him.  Not sure if I am trying to get the flu or what.
 
Thanks for your prayers and support.  We love you.

Shauna Storer

No comments:

Post a Comment